GORMARU-ISLAND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GORMARU-ISLAND

Welcome to GORMARU ISLAND, an island hub that hosts a generally peaceful community of stability and order for all daikaiju fans who enjoy GODZILLA, GAMERA, ULTRAMAN, PACIFIC RIM, and any other monstrosities out there! The island is yours, come join us!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD Empty
PostSubject: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Well, this is GODZILLA WEEK and I found that it is indeed best to create a thread where you all can post up your reviews. So far I've heard a lot of positive reviews for this film. Of course I also heard of mixed and sometimes negative reviews as well. Which is understandable, I'm certain we all know that no movie is absolutely perfect. But the majority mindset is that GODZILLA is a pretty good movie, and a much better Godzilla movie than the 1998 film. Which is really all that matters.

I'll post up my review that moment I get back home after seeing it opening day with my friends. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
https://gormaruisland.forumotion.com
AdventDestiny
AdventDestiny

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD EmptyFri May 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I saw Godzilla yesterday, and man was it good... not as great as I think everybody was anticipating, but still better than most of the other Toho films [and yes it's better than the 1998, of course!  ]

First off, the biggest selling point in this movie are monsters; Godzilla is utterly spectacular, as are his two adversaries, the Winged Muto and the Eight-Legged Muto. They're all very realistic, and in the case of Godzilla still respect the classic design and portrayal but improves on the man in a suit performance with much more impressive CG animation. The kaiju in this film feel real, in that you could actually believe they could exist in our real world.

Now the downside; two three issues... first off, the human characters aren't very interesting or memorable, certainly not when compared to the cast of Pacific Rim. They're mostly there to provide a perspective for the audience to obserb the otherworldly carnage that insues throughout the movie. Part of the reason for this, and the second issue all around, is that the movie takes itself a bit too seriously; there's almost no humor and very little wit, which as it turns out are often intristic in keeping an over the top movie such as this grounded, since even a little bit of humor can make it easier for the audience to swallow the idea of giant unstoppable monsters tearing a city apart!

The final issue, and the most minor in my opinion, is that it takes a while for us to actually get a good look at Godzilla; we get bits of snippets of him at the beginning, during the opening credits [which really surprised me, I can't remember the last recent movie I've seen that still shows opening credits anymore!], then there's a brief appearance of him in his full glory about a half hour into it, but we only get to really see him completely an hour in! Fortunately, we get to see the two Muto in action much sooner, and they're carrying much of the film up till the climatic final battle. Once all the monsters are all in the same place... the mother of all kaiju vs kaiju battles insues!!!

Ultimately, it's not a perfect film, certainly not the masterpiece we G-fans have been dreaming of, but it's still a good movie, certainly a proper tribute to the King of the Monsters, and a must see for any kaiju fan! 8 out of 10 stars!
Back to top Go down
http://adventdestiny.deviantart.com
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD EmptySat May 17, 2014 5:07 am

GODZILLA 2014 REVIEW

Is Godzilla's Resurrection an ultimate success? Does Gareth Edwards rid away the grim horror born from 16 years ago with a true coming of the icon?

One Answer: HELL. YES. On both counts!

GODZILLA is in fact the real deal, a true bringing of the Japanese Toho icon, one that we should have gotten 16 years ago.

The film plays the same notes as the original Gojira, focusing on the human element in how they survive against monstrous forces. The human characters meld well with the film's world as massive events develop and unfold. They are given time to let viewers invest into them and their situations. For you to understand how each one of them handles the disasters they face, and how they struggle to survive something that they might not live to tell. You won't find all of the them appealing, but their performances are solid enough that you might be able to connect with them to some degree.

The movie gradually takes its time to set up its world, its characters, and its monsters. By the first hour, it will have already done and with beautiful grace. Throughout such a time, Godzilla is slowly being teased, just when you thought the film places all of its cards on the table, it continues to hide its hand, waiting for the right moment to dish a winning ace. This is not a means to frustration the viewer, this is a means of build-up toward a thrilling suspenseful pay off in the final act of the movie.

By almost an hour in Godzilla makes his presence incredibly known, but the film still holds back its load for a little bit longer. Giving you enough Godzilla to satisfy your thirst for the icon, but still leave you wanting more. The MUTO creatures are the destruction of mankind, and are main reasons why Godzilla resurfaces in the world after being awakened by mankind in the 1954. He is hunting them as they are an imbalance to the world's natural order. (And very much prove to be threats to Godzilla's territory, which he usually considers the planet to be in this sort of sense)

The MUTOs are given quite a large showing to establish their existence and their reasons for awakening. This is usually expected when it comes to Non-solo Godzilla films. Godzilla still has his time within the spotlight, it is a decently fair amount. It's not as small as some complain it to be, although I can understand wanting more Godzilla in a movie called GODZILLA. By the third act, you're treated to a grand Zilla-fest that leaves you satisfied and yet still wanting more. (In a good way) So you do get your cake, and a fork to eat it too. This approach clearly won't be for everyone, when it comes to summer blockbusters, everyone wants film spectacles thrown in their faces right from the gates. This trend has happened for a long time as this is what summer blockbusters usually deliver. So this change of a game might not agree with some people. But with GODZILLA's build-up being in the veins of Jaws, Aliens, Jurassic Park, and Gojira, it's a change of pace that can be appreciated for it pays off well in the end, especially in this film.

I decided to not spoil too much in this review summary, but in my in-depth review below, there's tons of it. So read at your own risk.

Spoiler:

Overall, my score for GODZILLA is (4.5/5)(9/10) stars. GODZILLA succeeds in respecting the icon, treating the source material properly, and delivering a monster epic that erases the horror from 1998 completely from existence! With a solid cast, firm performance, and gargantuan action, GODZILLA stomps hard and roars loud.
Back to top Go down
https://gormaruisland.forumotion.com
G-Matt

G-Matt

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD EmptyMon May 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Here's my video review of the movie: https://youtu.be/Pz7MXJwyw2s

Also, as an extra, here's some footage I took on the premiere day: https://youtu.be/AJa0hcpeAlA
Back to top Go down
xeraimus

xeraimus

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD EmptyWed May 21, 2014 7:46 am

Saw the movie on the 15th with my little brother I had a blast watching the film. The human characters were memorable , I could really feel for the characters. The story is very sad, yet very impacting. A good amount of action, right where it needs to be.

Most of all the monster scenes were very nice just overall mind blowing and the music really helped make this film memorable.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD   GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD Empty

Back to top Go down

GODZILLA REVIEW THREAD
Page 1 of 1