GORMARU-ISLAND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GORMARU-ISLAND

Welcome to GORMARU ISLAND, an island hub that hosts a generally peaceful community of stability and order for all daikaiju fans who enjoy GODZILLA, GAMERA, ULTRAMAN, PACIFIC RIM, and any other monstrosities out there! The island is yours, come join us!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Empty
PostSubject: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Ku-xlarge

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD IuX2rp2

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD BJScolA

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD 5ds7d3

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Godzilla

The evolutionary process and creation of Gareth Edward's GODZILLA, from it's showcased model concept, to the finalized design of the creature itself. It's a pretty amazing look back from then to now.

“In a way we approached it was, imagine in 1954 (when the first Godzilla movie was made), that this creature really existed and someone saw him from Toho, the Japanese studio, and went running back to the studio and said, ‘I’ve seen this creature and it kind of looked like this.’ And they tried to draw it and they tried to make a suit and they did a very good job of it but then, when you saw the real creature, you go ‘Okay, I totally understand how you got that suit from that creature but now I see the real thing. Oh my God, I totally believe that it’s completely real.’ And that’s how we approached it. We went through hundreds of designs, and never stopped playing really until the last minute and got to the point where it was like, ‘Is there anything else that we want to change about this design’? And I was like, personally no, I’m very happy with it. And Toho was very much a part of the approval process. So it’s a Toho approved design as well.”

Even more so, the direction Gareth and Legendary took in bringing a realistic take to the icon is also incredibly well brought out as well. Generally I love the design of Gareth's Godzilla, it is perhaps the first American Godzilla that can be truly regarded as a Toho Godzilla. I can't wait to see this beast in action!

Everything about this design really sells "What if Godzilla was a creature that existed in real life", or in a more interesting point "What if Toho had the funds and technology to produce a more realistic modern take on Godzilla". From the extreme bulk to the crocodilian scales and armored chest plates, and animal-like grizzly head, this Godzilla looks like a powerful Godzilla all around. A quality the previous American-take grimly lacked, then again at the hands of Roland who wanted a xenomorph Godzilla rip-off, what more could you expect.
Back to top Go down
https://gormaruisland.forumotion.com
Razor286

Razor286

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Same here! I love this design as well! Including the stumpy-like feet! Legendary Goji has become my top favorite Godzilla design currently, pushing Kiryu-Goji down to second place. Everything about Legendary Goji just emits a powerful atmosphere of fierce nuclear nature, and the wrath of nature itself. Plus, it's recognizable as Godzilla! Gareth, LP, and Toho really done an amazing job in creating the next generation of Godzilla Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AdventDestiny
AdventDestiny

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 am

I like how you can see in the conceptual model [the pic with Gareth Edwards in it] how much smaller Godzilla's head is when compared to the finalized design; my God what were they thinking when they put such a tiny head on him! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://adventdestiny.deviantart.com
OniGoji

OniGoji

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 am

Probably going off of Toho's Godzilla incarnations, several of their heads were fairly small. But none of them looked this small in scale lol. But none the less I am also happy that Godzilla's head is much, MUCH, larger in size and shape. I find it to be a welcomed improvement now that I see what we could have originally gotten in the final design.
Back to top Go down
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am

Same here, it will be interesting to see how life-like this Godzilla will be in action, seeing his personality will be a experience that I greatly anticipate. (Despite the whole force of nature Godzilla, which of course is one of the best angles for any direction with Godzilla!)
Back to top Go down
AdventDestiny
AdventDestiny

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 7:53 pm

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Godzilla-fangoria

Hard to believe this is going to be a CG kaiju, isn't it? Shocked 
Back to top Go down
TheDreadedGodOfKaiju

TheDreadedGodOfKaiju

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 7:07 am

When I first saw a picture of the design months ago, I thought it was alright but was disappointed since the picture made Godzilla look friendly and it reminded me of the 60's to 70's friendly designs. Surprised 

After watching the trailers and TV spots, my opinion on the 2014 Godzilla design changed and now I love it.... although I think it would look a little bit better if two long fangs were added. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyFri May 02, 2014 12:49 pm

Bah, I find the general thought that the vocal users on the 2ch forums are fans of Godzilla is a dull minded thought. Just because users on a massive forum that subjects every topic out there, and comments on something doesn't mean they are "Japanese fans". 2ch is the general pit that houses a large number of trolls, those trolls are just having their digs into the latest Godzilla for no real reason.
I find it quite sad.

But like Gareth Edward's well spoken words "Everyone has their own opinion as to what Godzilla should be like", it's expected that some nitpick teasing would come our way. But at least Japan can't say that we got Godzilla wrong this time. Beyond that they seem rather forgetful, Japan has made Godzilla "fat" before he even landed within our hands. (GMK, GvsMGII, GvsD) Can't please everyone I suppose.

But overall, this is my favorite Godzilla design, it's powerful looking, bulked, monstrous, and most importantly it looks and feels like a Classic Toho Godzilla. Respectful to the source material but well updated Smile
Back to top Go down
OniGoji

OniGoji

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyFri May 02, 2014 4:27 pm

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Tumblr_n4t9sgVuld1rvmqxto1_500

This Godzilla Design is incredibly godly and truly respectable to Toho's source material and structure for Godzilla.

Pwssh! 2ch is the like the older brother of 4chan, nothing but trolls, brainless folks, and users with no real sense of maturity and structure. They have their lot of good and acceptable members, but most of the nest are just full of trolls. Then again, it's the internet, so it's not surprising.

Back to top Go down
AdventDestiny
AdventDestiny

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptySun May 11, 2014 2:10 pm

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD 1000px10

godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Anothe10

A couple of official [I think] pics of the final design for Godzilla! Also, here's a Scifi Japan review of Godzilla; there are a few spoilers, but they're very minor, and only relate to Godzilla's portrayal in the film, which is why I felt the review would actually be posted here!
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014/05/10/godzilla-2014-review/
Back to top Go down
Boogie209
Admin
Boogie209

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Good lord, I just love this design, absolutely a fantastic next generation Godzilla Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD   godzilla - GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD Empty

Back to top Go down

GODZILLA 2014 DESIGN THREAD
Page 1 of 1